Saturday 9 August 2008

Mood Food: That Don't Impress Me Mush

There's nothing worse than a broken heart is there? I can still remember that numbness, emptiness and sense of desolation brought on by the end of a relationship. It's hell and you certainly don't feel like eating. However, you need to eat in order to bounce back and the best type of food when you have no appetite is soft food, baby food - mush.

Mashed potato with onion gravy, ravioli with rich tomato sauce, mushroom risotto or thick chocolate milkshake, these all used to work for me in the sad old days.

And there are certain foods that contain serotonin (happy chemicals) - mushrooms, bananas, walnuts, pineapple, plums, tomatoes - so stick a few of them in and you're well on the way to feeling more positive.

I bet you're wondering why I'm talking about heartbreak. Here I am in a happy and healthy relationship with Charlotte. Surely I don't wish to recall the pain of less satisfactory affairs? Well no, I don't really, but I'm writing this in honour of the beautiful Shania Twain (and all the other beauties currently feeling sad). She split with her husband back in May and has since posted this moving letter on her website. Ah, brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it? What do you think, perhaps now that Shania's single again, maybe she'll utter the famous words 'Man, I feel like a woman' and mean it the way we do?

There's a TV movie biopic about Shania showing on Movies 24 on Monday night - Shania: A Life in Eight Albums - it's quite likely that it won't impress me much, but I'm still going to be watching it.

No comments: