Friday 15 August 2008

Muffin top

I have a bit of a muffin top at the moment. Maybe it's the result of too many summer beers or the the fact that the subsidised staff canteen in my new job is a novelty that hasn't worn off yet.

However, I do like the term muffin top. I have the excellent Australian comedy, Kath and Kim, to thank for that particular term. And I loooove Kath and Kim. In fact right now I am enjoying some "wine time", much in the style of those antipodean "foxymorons".

What I especially love is their excellent quotes. Consider these:

Kim: Here's your statue, Mum.
Kath: Oh, what for the love of God is that?
Kim: It's the statue you wanted.
Kath: What? No it's not, Kim.
Kim: Yes it is, it's a statue of little baby cheeses.
Kath: Little baby cheeses? Oh little baby *Jesus*, Kim, *Jesus*

Sharon: I've taken up golf, Mrs D.
Kath: Oh really?
Sharon: Yeah. Me and the girls are going down to the Peninsula to play in a tournament.
Kim: Which girls?
Sharon: Oh, you know, K.D., Ellen, Martina. Just the usual gang.

Kim: My marriage is over. O-V-A-H. Over.

Kim: Mum. I don't want to be rich, I want to be effluent!

I don't know whether I am dismayed or happy to hear that they are making a US version of the sitcom, because they may lose all concept of humour or irony in translation or maybe my favourite programme's is going to have a fantastic new incarnation.

I wait with anticipation. But in the meantime..."look at moiye, look at moiye"!

No comments: