Wednesday 3 November 2010

Don't come dine with me

Someone I went to school with is on Come Dine With Me this week. It was her turn to host last night and she did a great job. Her food looked good, she got excellent praise on its taste and it was neat and tidy.
 
Seemingly this was a very important point for Claire who has developed, since I last saw her about 20 years ago, an obsession for having things spotlessly clean and devoid of clutter. I guess it was amusing for me as I recall evenings at Claire's aged 11 when we would prepare hot dogs, oven chips and chicken goujons and loll about in her living room under duvets listening to Five Star and Belinda Carlisle or watching horror films, whilst the dirty plates and glasses of Coca Cola gathered the floor and on the side, to be cleared away much later. In fairness, I do share some of her traits. I too cannot abide clutter now, and plates and spills get cleaned up immediately. However, if you go inside my cupboards and drawers, then it's a different story.
 
This is precisely one of the myriad of reasons why I could never take part in Come Dine With Me. The thought of someone going through my cupboards and drawers and discovering actually how slovenly I am when it comes to tidying things away, would be awful. My house is spotlessly tidy on the surface, but dig deeper then the phrase "out of sight, out of mind" really comes in to play.
 
Here are the other reasons as to why Come Dine With Me would never grace my humble abode:
  • I like to convince myself that cooking is my one true gift. It is the one thing that I believe I do really well. To have people actually criticise my cooking would basically make me cry!
  • Sometimes I cannot be trusted around alcohol in that I become a bit of a liability with regard to what I say and how I conduct myself. I just know I would say something that would unintentionally insult someone, would get a bit loud and would probably end up throwing up in a bush outside. Plus, I have no wish to see myself drunk on TV.
  • The camera adds 10 pounds. Enough said (although I am rectifying this matter with my new fitness regime...walking up 16 flights of stairs at work, twice a day)
So all credit to Claire for putting herself up for scrutiny. You are a brave woman!

No comments: