Friday 12 November 2010

D'you want me to make you a little sandwich?

So asks Beverly, the grotesque lead character in Mike Leigh's excellent TV play, Abigail's Party.


However, although Beverly is somewhat grotesque, I can see a little bit of myself in her. For example, her vain attempts at social engineering with embarrassing consequences, her tendency to drink a little more gin than is necessary, the fact she comes from Essex and her fabulous 'dancing'.

"I like Demis Roussos"

If you have never seen Abigail's Party, then I urge you to watch it now. Once seen, forever (and ever) quoted!

That's the thing I love about Mike Leigh films, the fact that you can either see yourself or people you know in the characters he creates. Beth and I saw Another Year at the weekend, which was excellent. Food plays an important role in the film as the main characters meet over various home-cooked meals, an impromptu lunch created from produce from an allotment, BBQs and copious amounts of wine. We could definitely identify with the main couple with regard to their contented lives. But at the same time, we both individually recognised that there was a time in each of our lives where we had the potential to behave like the lonely, single, needy woman who drinks too much and constantly turns to her married friends for friendship and understanding.

I have to apologise for my lack of blogging this week, but my life has been a little manic work wise and I am too flaked out in the evening to write anymore (despite what the news tells you, public sector workers are busy!). Anyway, today I have the day off and I have started it by dyeing my hair. The bathtub now looks like someone has been dismembered in it due to my mahogany hair dye.

Next I am off to TK Maxx to spoil myself and then for some solitary Dim Sum, my personal treat. Beth hates Dim Sum you see, as outlined in my first ever post. Then it's IKEA to pick up some storage boxes and then off to the market to buy the produce for the Julia Child inspired menu I am preparing for Beth tonight. We are having:

Seared scallops in beurre blanc sauce
Boeuf Bourguignon
Julia Child's chocolate mousse

Beth will let you know how it goes as she's blogging about this weekend on MovieTalk, her work blog, to coincide with Julie and Julia showing on TV.

Right, off to listen to some Demis Roussos whilst I get dressed.....

No comments: