Monday 4 October 2010

Let them eat cake

What is about women and sweet treats? In particular chocolate and cake?

I don't know what you think, but Beth and I have a theory that a craving for sweet treats means that you don't have enough female loving in your life. Think about it, straight women seem to go doo lally over a slab of chocolate, whereas straight men seem more focused on things like pizza.

I tested this once with a group of my Sapphic sisters by initiating a discussion about our particular food cravings. What came out of this was that we all observed that heterosexual women were forever bringing in cakes, donuts and chocolate to work, but at the end of the day we agreed that we would all probably prefer a nice bit of pork pie! Is this because like straight men, we are the receivers of some female lovin', which provides us with the emotional sustenance that straight women (and many gay men, just watch my friend Richard devour a packet of chocolate digestives) seem to get from chocolate and cake?

However, someone who bucks this trend is my friend Hannah. When she and her husband got married this year they had a three tiered cake consisting entirely of.........pork pie!



Although, I have been getting into my baking of late and I have the Great British Bake Off to thank for that. Did you watch it? It was fabulous and it had our hilarious Sapphic sister, Sue Perkins, as host along with her comedy partner, Mel Giedroyc. The right person also won in the end, Edd Kimber, a lovely boy who bakes. Check out his blog.

Anyway, as we speak and contrary to my lack of interest in sweet things, I have some cranberry and raspberry muffins in the oven with a nice crunchy pecan topping. I am very particular about muffins. They have to be actual muffins and not overgrown fairy cakes. This means that they need to be made with less sugar and a nice rustic flour. Actually, one particular bug bear for me at the moment are cup cakes. I mean what is the fucking point? They're not sold on the taste, but rather how pretty they look. Look if I want to taste something pretty, then I'll seek out Cheryl Cole, not a cup cake!

On a final note, I'm attending an afternoon tea party on Saturday which is ironically being hosted by lesbians. However, one of them is a heavily pregnant lesbian, so she can be excused for her sweet cravings as she obviously needs emotional nourishment. The question is, what cake do I bake to take along? All suggestions welcome.

No comments: