Friday 4 July 2008

A fool for cheese

Well firstly, yes I am a fool for cheese and secondly, that's the deal I have struck with Beth today. She must buy me cheese from Neal's Yard Dairy on her way home from work and I will make a blueberry fool with our homegrown blueberries and the excess yogurt we have in the fridge.

Now the cheese must be honking! By that I mean its aroma must be incredibly pungent. An Époisses de Bourgogne or Stinking Bishop should do the trick. Am I alone in my adoration of cheese that quite frankly smells like manure? Maybe, but it tastes wonderful.

Here's how to make the fool:

1 cup fresh blueberries
1 tablespoons water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 pint whipping cream
1/4 pint plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Place the berries in a medium saucepan and stir in the water and sugar. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the berries are soft and have released their juices. Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside to cool.

Meanwhile, whisk the cream for about one minute until soft peaks form and then mix in the yogurt and vanilla extract.

Pour the cooled blueberry sauce over the whipped cream/yogurt mix and gently fold the mixture until the blueberries and the cream are well combined. Refrigerate for at least two hours, then spoon the dessert into serving dishes.

No comments: